Sunday, December 10, 2017

Taking a Short Break

I'm going to take a short break from blogging. I will return before the end of December. If you're participating in the craft-along, feel free to post your link any time. I will collect them around the 29th.

I have been struggling with some life issues that are wearing me down. I need to focus my energies on bringing them to a resolution.

I also want to evaluate the path forward for GIY. As other bloggers have noted, blogging seems to be on the decline. There are fewer bloggers, fewer readers, and a lot less interaction. GIY's readership has certainly shrunk.

GIY has been a source of encouragement for me - I am motivated to keep doing projects so I have useful content for my readers. But with fewer and fewer people reading, blogging seems less and less worthwhile. Maybe it's time to look at other options.

If anyone has successfully revived a declining blog by moving to some other medium, I'd love to hear about it!

Friday, December 1, 2017

Craft Along with GIY: December 2017

It's December and time to wrap up our first year of Craft Along with GIY.

During December, I will work on a craft project. Around December 29, I will post my completed project. You can share a link to your project on that post or at any time during the month on this post. I will compile the links on the Craft Along with GIY page.

To participate:
1.  If you're a blogger, add the Craft Along with GIY icon to your post. Link the icon to this page:

2.  On either this theme announcement post or my completed project post, leave a comment with a link to your project. You can link to your blog, webpage, Instagram, or anywhere else readers can see it.

Your project can be big or small. It can be in any style, goth or otherwise. The fun is in the crafting

December can be a stressful and hectic month for many people, so we're going with an easy theme: Anything Goes. Craft anything you like. :)

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Craft-Along: Almost Finished

I must reluctantly admit that my November craft-along project is not finished. :( Life and responsibilities sometimes get in the way of crafting.

If you are participating, please go ahead and share your project. I hope to have mine posted in the next couple of days.

To share your Craft Along with GIY project:
1.  Add the Craft Along with GIY icon to your blog post. Link the icon to this page:
2.  Leave a comment with a link to your project. If you're not a blogger, you can link to your webpage, Instagram, or anywhere else readers can see it. (Please link directly to the project page.)

I will compile the links on the Craft Along with GIY page.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Trim Project in Progress

Now that my new flooring is done, I am going to install baseboards. I am also going to replace the casing/trim around the doors. If my math is correct, this will require 44 boards.

All the boards need to be painted. In hopes of getting a nice finish with no brush marks or roller texture, I decided to try painting them with a sprayer.

I spread them all out in my garage, which was barely large enough.

So many boards!

Monday, November 20, 2017

Cabinet Project in Progress 4

Now that my new flooring has been installed, I have returned to my cabinet project. :)

I attached a small piece of wood to the end of the ironing board.

And attached a similar piece above the track the ironing board slides on.

These serve as a stop so the board can't be pulled out too far.

I added decorative trim to finish the edges of the plywood top. I removed the doors in preparation for painting.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Craft-Along: Favorites

Just checking in with a reminder about November's craft-along. :) The theme is Favorites. I have resumed work on my project to turn kitchen cabinets into a sewing storage cabinet with a pull-out ironing board.

Want to craft along? Details HERE.

Thursday, November 2, 2017

More Mystery Treat Boxes

More mystery treat boxes! These are bags and tissue holders in non-spooky prints. Great if you need a little dose of bright color or as stocking stuffer gifts for your non-spooky friends or family. :)

Details are the same as with the other boxes:
  • Each Mystery Treat Box will be $6, which covers postage.
  • Each box will contain at least 3 handmade items.
  • Items will be some combination of tote bags, zipper bags, and/or pocket pack tissue holders.
How to get a Mystery Treat Box:
  • Email me at BaneofGIY or use the Contact Me form.
  • Tell me which box you would like. Feel free to provide me a ranked list of all boxes you're interested in.
You can request more than one box. Depending on the items, I may be able to combine them into one Priority Mail box.

Below is the list of available Mystery Treat Boxes.

sea green, aqua, other shades of green and blue
abstract watercolor type design

Blue Birds
light blue, dark blue
birds, swirls

Lime Quatrefoil
lime green and white with pink or purple accent

Dots and Stripes
black and white with blue or green accent
polka dots, stripes

pale aqua, white

Hello Yellow
yellow, gray, dark blue
squares, medallions

Double Mystery
a random surprise of at least 6 items